Senior Industrial Designer, IDEO
Juliette Laroche is an industrial designer at IDEO based out of the San Francisco studio. Prior to IDEO, she worked at OXO out of the New York City office and has over 5 years of industrial design experience. She has worked on projects such as kitchen gadgets, sports equipment, consumer goods, transportation design, home appliances, and also has experience in UX/UI design and service design.
Her industrial design skills revolve heavily around human-centered design and design thinking processes. She is passionate about learning how new technologies can be applied to better people's lives, enjoys using biomimicry as a tool to help her solve complex problems and come up with innovative solutions, is fascinated by material innovation and has an apt for visual storytelling that evokes emotion and builds empathy towards a product or space.
Juliette graduated Cum Laude from University of Houston with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design. Since graduation she has won several awards in the industrial design field: IDEA Award (Bronze & Finalist), IDSA Judge Panel (1st place Thesis Project), Global Grad Show (Exhibitor), Model Solution Award and a few more. Her work has also been featured in Core77, INNOVATION and ArchiPanic.
Adapting to the future: Unleashing the power of generative AI in product design
In this presentation, we will embark on a journey into Generative AI and its potential to empower designers to push the boundaries of creativity, experiment with ideas, and craft products that break free from conventional norms. By leveraging multiple modalities and incorporating generative algorithms, designs will gain access to a plethora of design options, variations, and possibilities.
While the potential of Generative AI is immense, it is also crucial for designers to navigate the technology effectively and ethically. We will address the importance of developing a deeper understanding of AI capabilities, limitations, and ethical considerations. By delving into these aspects, designers can harness the power of AI while staying mindful and building resilience to potential challenges and risks that may emerge.
Join us in this sharing from the interdisciplinary collaboration at IDEO. Together, we will explore how cutting-edge technology unlocks a new dimension in design, fuels innovation, and propels us toward a new future where resilience and groundbreaking design are seamlessly intertwined.
The audience will learn. . .
Overall, attendees can expect to learn about the benefits and limitations of generative AI and emerging technologies in the design process, and how this technology can be applied to various stages of the industrial and product design process. They may also gain insight into how generative AI can improve design outcomes and lead to more efficient and effective design processes.
1) Introduction to Generative AI in the product design process: we will explain what generative AI is. We will provide examples of how generative AI has been used in the design industry, especially product design.
2) Applications of Generative AI in Design: the audience will learn how generative AI can be used to generate and optimize design alternatives, and how it can help them to explore new design possibilities.
3) Benefits of Using Generative AI: the audience will learn the potential benefits of using generative AI in the design process, such as increased efficiency, improved design quality, and reduced costs.
4) Challenges and Limitations: the audience will learn about the challenges and limitations of using generative AI, such as the need for high-quality data, the potential for ethical bias, and the difficulty of interpreting the output.
5) Case Studies: the audience will study and learn generative AI has been used in real-world design projects, and how it has impacted the design process and outcomes. (cases studies including IDEO internal case in product exploration, as well as designers’ individual projects in product design and speculation)